Hello Parents! ¡Hola Padres!
If your child is learning Spanish at preschool with Spanish by the Month lessons you have come to the right place! It would be wonderful if you can review and practice the vocabulary below at home. This way your child will be exposed to Spanish throughout month and this will help them memorize new words and phrases with ease. Besides, if they see that mom and dad are interested in learning Spanish, they will think it is extra special and really cool to learn a second language! You will soon be able to integrate some Spanish into your daily lives at home too.
SPANISH IN AUGUST VOCABULARY-
In August your child is learning the nursery rhyme; Where is Thumbkin which translates as Pulgarcito. This is a fun nursery rhyme in which our fingers (who are given names in the rhyme) have a conversation with each other! I August your child will also learn vocabulary having to do with going to beach or the swimming pool or water day. Farm animals is another fun topic that your child will learn. Now only will we learn how to say the names of different farm animals but we will learn a cultural lesson-that some animals make different sounds in English than they do in Spanish...or so it appears! Practice the following vocabulary with your child at home. For the full lesson and CD see the bookstore!
(Read the phonetic spelling to the right of each Spanish word as you would read English. Stress the syllables that are in bold and underlined and your pronunciation will be right on!)
The finger: el dedo (L day-doe)
The fingers: los dedos (lohs day-does)
Mr. Thumb: Pulgarcito (Pool-gar-see-toh)
Mr. Pointer Finger: Señor Indice (Sen-your In-d-say)
Mr. Middle Finger: Señor Medio (Sen-your May-d-o)
Mr. Ring Finger: Señor Anular: Sen-your Ah-new-lahr)
Mr. Pinky Finger: Señor Meñique: (Sen-your Men-yee-k)
Where are you? ¿Dónde estás? (Dohn-day s-tahs?)
Here I am. Aquí estoy. (Ah-key s-toy)
How are you? ¿Como está Usted? (Koh-Moh s-tah OO-sted?)
Very good, thank you. Muy bien, gracias. (Moo-e b-n graw-c-us.)
I'm leaving now. Ya me voy. (Yah may boy.)
In August your child is also learning vocabulary that has to do with swimming at the beach, at the swimming pool and during water day at their child care center! You can practice the words & phrases below with your child at home!
1. the swimming pool: la piscina (lah peace-e-nah)
2. the beach: la playa (lah ply-yah)
3. water day: el día de auga (l dee-yah-day ah-gwah)
4. the sprinkler: el irrigador (l ear-er-gah-door)
5. the swimsuit: el trade de baño (l trah-hay day bah-nyo)
6. the flip flops: las chancels (lahs chan-klahs)
7. the beach towel: la toalla de playa (law toe-eye-yah day ply-ah)
8. the goggles: las gafas de natación (las gah-fahs day nah-tah-see-ohn)
9. the sunscreen: el bloqueador (l-blow-k-ah-door)
10. the sunglasses: las gafas de sol (lahs gah-gahs day soul)
11. the floaty: el flotador (l flow-tag-door)
12. the beach ball: la pelota de playa (lah pay-low-tah day ply-yah)
And some useful phrases:
1. Let's go to the pool!: Vamos a la piscina. (Bah-mohs ah lah peace-see-nah).
2. Put on... : Pónte... (Pohn-teh...)
3. Swim!: Nah-dah! (¡Nah-dah!)
As parents, you have the option to purchase the Spanish in August Lesson and CD for your home if you would like to learn Spanish with your child a little more in depth and incorporate it into your daily lives. The CD is wonderful for car rides too!) Don't worry if you have never studied Spanish mom and dad. The Spanish by the Month Lessons and CDs are designed for you to learn Spanish as you practice it with your children. Spanish in August and other Spanish by the Month lessons are available in the bookstore on the is website.)